Follow Us    
RAFT (Residential Assistance to Families in Transition)
Residential Assistance to Families in Transition
  • MA
Send this action plan to someone. Just fill in their email address and yours below:

RAFT (Residential Assistance to Families in Transition) is a state-funded homelessness prevention program. RAFT gives short-term financial assistance to low-income families who are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless.

RAFT helps families who are behind on rent, mortgage payments, or utility bills. RAFT also helps families who have to move but do not have enough money to pay a security deposit, utility start-up costs, or first/last month’s rent. Families can get up to $3,000.

Regional non-profit housing agencies (RNPs) are in charge of the RAFT program at the local level. To apply for RAFT, you should contact the RNP or Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC) that serves your city or town.

How to Apply

  • To apply for RAFT, you should contact the regional Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC) that serves your city or town. To find your regional HCEC, call 1-800-224-5124. When you call, a staff member will do a preliminary screening to see if your family appears to meet the requirements of the RAFT program. If you get preliminary approval, the HCEC will ask you to fill out a RAFT application.

    When you apply, you will need: identification such as a driver’s license, other picture ID, or MassHealth card. Proof of current income for all adult household members (pay stubs, TAFDC/EAEDC award letters, proof of unemployment or child support payments, Social Security/SSI statement, etc.) proof of income cannot be more than 60 days old. You will also need a copy of your lease or mortgage statement, proof that you need help and the amount of money you need (eviction notice, utility shutoff notice, overdue utility bills, rental startup costs, etc.) In addition, all adult members of your family must sign a form giving the housing agency permission to check the information on the application and discuss it with utility companies, landlords, mortgage companies, etc., as needed.

    Families living in public or subsidized housing who need help paying back rent must also submit an At-Risk of Homelessness Certification form. You must sign a Participant Contract. If you are a renter who is using RAFT to pay for back rent, first/last month's rent, a security deposit, or monthly rent stipend, your landlord must sign a participation agreement. Your HCEC will give you all of the forms you need and will let you know which proofs you must provide.